General Information

Study Permits

To study in Canada, you will need a Study Permit to before you enter Canada to enroll in any academic, professional or vocational training at a university, college or other educational institution in Canada.

There are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, you typically do not need a permit if you are enrolling in a short-term course or program of six months or less. However, if you think you might study for more than six months, it is a good idea to obtain a study permit before you arrive.

Get a better idea of how much it costs to study abroad in Canada. Find out what programs are available, how much it costs and what documents are required as a citizen of your country.

Temporary Resident Visa

Citizens of many countries are required to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for entry into Canada. If you needed a TRV in order to enter Canada, you will need a valid one to re-enter Canada if you visit any country other than the United States

Working in Canada

International students may be permitted to work in Canada while studying, depending on their registration status and where the employment is located. If you are eligible to work, Canada’s immigration regulations permit three types of employment for international students: Working on campus, working off campus & working after graduation.

Work while studying

There are permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.1 The majority of international students work while they are studying in Canada because employment experience is one of the criteria for Permanent Residency applicants (minimum of 1-year to qualify and up to 6 years maximum consideration).

With new ways to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after your studies, the advantages of studying in Canada are tremendous. Work/Study options also make owning a home more realistic. There are a number of work permit programs for international students. Working in Canada can provide a source of income while you study, give you valuable work experience, help you make business contacts for the future, and even allow you to immigrate after your graduation.


If you’re bringing your family to Canada – or want to invite your family/friends to visit you – make sure they have the immigration documentation they need. These documents may change from province to province. International Student Services on each campus can advise you where you can find the immigration forms required.

Staying in Canada Permanently

If you want to make Canada your permanent home, there are a number of ways to apply. In most cases, you will not need to leave Canada.

The Canadian Experience Class makes it easier and more convenient for international students to apply for permanent resident status in Canada. If you have graduated from a post-secondary program at an eligible institution in Canada, and you have at least one year of work experience in Canada in a managerial, professional, technical or trade occupation after graduation, you may be eligible.


As an international student, there are number of documents you need to study in Canada. You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and obeying immigration regulations while you’re here.

NOTE: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced new regulations for prospective international students effective June 1, 2014.

For full information about your options, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website at